Cougars Fall to UTRGV In Wild 12-inning Battle
The University of Houston baseball team had a long-fought battle against the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley but were defeated 6-5 in 12 innings on Tuesday night. It was the fourth time the Cougars went to extra innings in the last seven regular-season games. With the loss, Houston falls to 2-5 on the season.
Bottom of 2nd
- Second baseman Ian McMillan’s ground out RBI put the Cougars on the board first as Left fielder Brett Cain scored making the game 1-0.
Bottom of 6th
- First baseman EJ Taylor had an RBI single to tie the game 1-1 for UTRGV
Top of 8th
- Fourth Cougar pitcher of the game Robert Gasser entered with runners at first and second base. Gasser started with a leadoff walk for EJ Taylor and loaded the bases. Freddy Rojas Jr. followed with a homer to right field and a grand slam to put UTRGV up 5-1.
Bottom of 8th
- The Cougars rallied back. An Infield single by Right Fielder Steven Rivas put him at first base. A hit by a pitch put Left Fielder Brett Cain at first while Rivas goes to second. A single to right field by Bryson Hill made the bases loaded for the Cougars.
- A Rey Mendoza 2 RBI single up the middle advanced Hill to second base while Cain and Rivas scored making the deficit 5-3. A single RBI to right field by center fielder Tyler Bielamowicz made it 5-4 heading into the 9th.
Top of 9th
- A wild pitch by Cougar pitcher Isiah Blaylock advanced right fielder Jacob Hirsh to second and third baseman Darian Luper to third. A diving save by Bielamowicz for a third out kept it 5-4 heading into the bottom of the inning.
Bottom of 9th
- Rivas homers to right-center field for Houston and ties the game 5-5. The Cougars came back from trailing 5-1 in the bottom of the 8th.
Bottom of 11th
- A hit by a pitch put third baseman Ryan Hernandez on first for the Cougars. Rivas followed with a single putting runners on second and third base and in scoring position. An intentional walk loaded the bases and Houston had an opportunity to end the game as they had zero outs but a ground ball turned into a triple play for UTRGV that kept the game alive.
Top of 12th
- The bases were loaded for UTRGV as pitcher Blaylock allowed three walks. A fly out to left by Sepulveda gave UTRGV a 6-5 lead as Grubbs scored.
Bottom of 12th
- The Cougars were hoping to keep their chances alive but a double play and a ground out by UTRGV ended the game for Houston.
Houston looks to bounce back from their defeat as they host Texas State at home.
Photo by University of Houston Baseball